How Is What You SEE Affecting You?
Imagine seeing 250 people fall alive into a firey pit! It seems to me that would have a huge impact. But look what happened in our Torah portion…….
Numbers 16:33-35 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit and the earth closed upon them; and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them; for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. And there came out fire from the Lord, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.
1. Describe what the people saw and describe their reaction.
2. Who caused this to happen?
Numbers 16:41 But on the next day all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron saying, You have killed the LORD’S people!
1. The people saw this terrible event happen. Did it have a long lasting effect?
2. Did this sight have the effect that was purposed? What was the purpose?
3. Who did the people blame? What do you learn from this?
Numbers 16:44-48 The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, Get away from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment! They (Moses and Aaron) fell on their faces. Moses said to Aaron, Take your censer, and put fire from off the altar in it, and lay incense on it, and carry it quickly to the congregation, and make atonement for them; for wrath has gone out from the LORD! The plague has begun. Aaron did as Moses said, and ran into the midst of the assembly, and behold, the plague has begun among the people; and he put on the incense, and made atonement for the people. He stood between the dead and the living; and the plague was stayed.
1. What was the LORD’S attitude toward the people at this point?
2. Though Moses and Aaron had reason to agree with the LORD’S anger, describe their attitudes. In this case, what made them exceptional leaders?
3. Seeing that wrath had gone out from the LORD caused Moses and Aaron to act to save the people.
How should seeing the world around us affect our actions?
How is What You See Affecting You?