The Torah is always current! Every Torah portion echoes through history and speaks as though it is a headline in our news today. What is the headline that the Lord was speaking to us from Behar/Bechukotai?
Leviticus 25:10 And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout the land unto all the inhabitants thereof…….
- Do you find it amazing that this Torah portion would point to America’s liberty bell with Leviticus 25:10 engraved on it in the midst of this pandemic?
- What insights might come from this timing?
- Have our freedoms increased since this pandemic started?
- How do we encourage one another during times of change and crisis?
- Where does our freedom come from? Read and consider the following verse:
John 8:31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
- Was Yeshua speaking to believers? What is the sign of a true disciple?
***ARE WE IMMERSING OURSELVES IN THE WORD DAILY?***
Leviticus 25:17 You shall not wrong one another but, you shall fear your G-d: for I am the Lord your G-d.
- How do liberty and the way we treat one another go hand in hand?
- What practical things can we do to treat one another better?
- Do our thoughts and prayers for one another reflect this instruction?
- Why is it especially critical today that we do not harm one another?
- When you teach your children this verse, what behavior do you hope it will produce? How would this apply to our lives as one in a body of believers?
Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.
- Is there a key word in this verse that particularly speaks to you?
Leviticus 26:3 If you walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them……..
- What are the three verbs in this verse?
- Why do you think they are all action verbs?
- What is the conditional word used in this verse? Why is this word so important?
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
His Word is our lamp and light and teaches us HOW to walk, keep and do.
*****ARE WE IMMERSING OURSELVES IN THE WORD EVERY DAY?****
Notice the blessings that come when we actively participate in G-d’s instructions to us in the following verses:
Leviticus 26:4,5b,6,11,12 Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.
5b,6…..and dwell in your land safely. And I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land.
11,12 And I set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you. And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and you shall be my people.
- Of the many blessings that are given IF the people obey, is there one that jumps out at you?
- Notice the blessings that come through nature, through the land, through political situations, through emotions, through removal of weapons of various kinds, and through relationship with G-d. How are these blessings obtained?
- Note the “If”/”Then” relationship with these blessings. Explain how man and G-d work together.
Matthew 29:11 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
He wants us to work right along side of Him. He doesn’t want to work alone! And learn of Him!!
****ARE WE IMMERSING OURSELVES IN THE WORD DAILY?****
Summing Up: G-d gives rules in order to bless, but we choose the path of obeying or straying. It is an incredible responsibility to be given the kind of power that comes from an “If/Then” choice, because our individual choices affect many others. Remember that Leviticus 25:17 also highlighted the importance of not doing wrong to one another. Pastor Mark referred to
Leviticus 26:8 Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand, and your enemies will fall by the sword before you.
Do we see the co-relation of this promise with obedience to G-d?
How do we get the kind of strength that allows 100 will chase 10,000? Through UNITY – only through unity. And where does this unity come from? May I suggest it comes through the washing of the water of the Word of God. Our minds and hearts must be saturated with His Word – His Word transforms us and makes us one. We need to immerse ourselves in His Word, and let His thoughts be ours and see one another as He sees us! Now is the time to become one and be ready for the days ahead.
Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it (His community) with the washing of the water by the word.