As the world systems that we have known begin to come unraveled, where do we go for hope and encouragement? Incredibly, Lamentations, written by the prophet Jeremiah, spoke the word of G-d to us. Imagine, more than 2,500 years ago, the Lord spoke through Jeremiah to us about how to endure and be encouraged through our times! Let’s begin by looking at Romans………
Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
1. Why do we need to pay attention to what was written in the past?
2. What do the Scriptures provide us?
Lamentations 2:9 Her gates are sunk into the ground, he has destroyed and broken her bars; her king and her princes are among the Gentiles: the law is no more: her prophets also find no vision from the LORD.
1. What happens when the “law is no more”?
2. What do we see happening on major city streets in America and other nations?
So What Are We To DO?
Here is what the Lord says…..
Lamentations 3:40,41 Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord. Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.
1. Is there a portion of this verse that speaks to you?
Lamentations 3:21-26 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. Surely the LORD’S mercies are not consumed, surely, His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion; saith my soul; Therefore will I hope in Him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh Him. It is good that a man should quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.
1. What should our minds be doing? Is this different than what we are normally thinking about?
2. Why can we hope in the LORD?
3. Lamentations 3:21-26 tell us how we partner with the LORD. What is our part??