Who doesn’t want light and life? You’d be crazy not to desire both, right? Think about it. No one can walk without stumbling and falling when trying to walk in darkness. And without life, there is only death.
Light and Life are essential. We find both, only in One source – the Son of Man.
How would Yeshua identify Himself as the Son of Man?
John 12:32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.
1. What is Yeshua telling the people here when He says, If I am lifted up from the earth…..?
John 12:34 The people answered Him, We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can You say the Son of Man must be lifted up? who is the son of Man?
1. The people were recalling how the Torah says that the Messiah would be eternal. Were they connecting Messiah – the Son of Man, with the dry bones coming to life in Ezekiel?
Now Yeshua is going to help people connect the
Torah (Law) with the Son of Man on another level:
John 12:35,36 Then Yeshua said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you; for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light.
1. Why was Yeshua saying the light was important?
Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light;
1. How is Yeshua connecting Himself with the law and the commandments?
Remember in John 12:34, the people were connecting the law and the Messiah.
He is trying to give them another connection.
John 8:12 Then spake Yeshua again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
1. Again, Yeshua is very specific. What is He saying about Himself?
And again, Yeshua is connecting Himself to the Torah!
Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments; which if a man do, he shall live in them; I am the Lord.
1. What is the result of keeping the statutes and judgments? Who said this?
Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the Lord our God; but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
1. Who revealed these things about the law?
The law does not save, but it teaches us how to live.
Yeshua means, He is Salvation. Can you explain why it matters
that He is the light and why keeping the law gives life?
Also, Yeshua is relating light and life to being
THE SON OF MAN,
who was foreshadowed in the person of Ezekiel!!
Thank you, Pastor Mark for this amazing teaching!