There is a lot of emphasis placed on retirement and slowing down when you reach a certain age of say, around 65. Is this really a good idea, or should we re-think the whole concept of slowing down at a “certain age.” As we look at this Torah portion, we will see another way of looking at ”a certain age” and how involved we should be in the work of the Lord.
Genesis 12:1-3 Now the LORD had said to Abram, get you out of your country, and from your kindred and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you; And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great; and you will be a blessing: And I will bless them that blesses you, and curse him that curses you: and in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.
1. What exactly did the LORD tell Abram to do?
2. When Abram obeyed, what were the consequences going to be?
3. Do you find anything amazing about these promises?
Genesis 12:4,5 So Abram went, as the LORD had spoken to him. Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed out of Haran. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their substance that they have gained, and the persons that they have obtained in Charan; and they go out to go towards the land of Canaan; and they come in to the land of Canaan.
1. How old was Abram when he left everything behind? Can you relate to doing this at the age of 75? Was anything mentioned about Abram being concerned with his age? 2. Was G-d worried about Abram’s age?
The Hebrew word used that was translated “persons” is the word NEFESH. Nefesh means SOULS! Abram had been gathering souls for the Lord. He had been rescuing people out of idol worship and bringing them into the knowledge of the One True God. Not only did he move with his wife and nephew, but all those souls, the people he had brought to the Lord moved with him. Abram was 75 years old!
3. What does this tell us about retiring from the work of the Lord and going wherever He sends us?
In the Kingdom of Heaven you have purpose at any age! Let’s bring His Kingdom in!